A 5th century monastery was the first Christian community on the hill-top site overlooking Falmouth bay, known as Budock Churchtown.
Here monks came to study with the venerated teacher and missionary Abbot Budoc, patron saint of this church.
The much-loved legend of the right hand of St Budock, embalmed after his death and believed by the faithful to give blessing and absolution, is replicated in the copy of the reliquary above the south door and in smaller versions on each churchwarden’s stave.
Of the monastery and other early churches nothing remains. A Chancel and Transept was built in the 13th century; a piscina, a lancet window and the jambs of the transept arch date from this time. The 15th century saw the construction of the south porch, Nave, West Tower and a fine arcade of seven arches.
The carved and coloured Chancel screen, dating from the reign of Henry VII, was largely destroyed during the civil war, leaving only the wainscot. Of special interest are the painted figures which were cleaned and restored at the beginning of the 20th century.
Rebuilding of the church took place from 1770-96 when box pews were installed.